So far this year, I’ve found myself with a downright surly disposition. There’s no particular reason for it other than about a million little annoying things, none of which should have me in a bad mood for more than five minutes, but here we are anyway. Despite my wealth of teenage misery experience (I was called Daria on a regular basis), I actually much prefer being happy and in a good mood. I know, if you’ve met me that seems to go way against my personality, but it’s true. So, I’m turning to my trusty, tested mood enhancer: my get over yourself playlist. It’s a simple, quick fix, but it’s yet to fail in perking me up when I’m grumpy for no good reason.
- Love Is All Right Tonite – Rick Springfield. This may just be the best song of all time. I sing along to it like an idiot and instantly start to feel better. And if you’re a Wet Hot American Summer fan you know “it’s always fun to get away from camp, even for an hour.”
- Don’t Stop Me Now – Queen. Actually you could substitute almost any Queen song here, but this one’s my favorite. Plus, it makes me picture the Winchester pool cue zombie fight from Shaun of the Dead and that’s always an instant mood improver.
- Do It With a Rockstar – Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra. This is just a badass song.
- Go – Valley Lodge. If you’ve watched Last Week Tonight with John Oliver you’ll probably recognize this as the catchy ear worm used as the theme music.
- Walking A Line – Foo Fighters. A Foo deep cut! But it shouldn’t be at all. This one works wonders at the gym too.
- Complexity – Eagles of Death Metal/Boots Electric. Whether you pick the original, slightly more pop sounding Boots Electric cut or the remixed Eagles of Death Metal version “it’s the good stuff.”
- Smooth Sailing – Queens of the Stone Age. I could pick so many QOTSA songs for this list, but this one never fails me. For some reason it works best while cooking Chinese food and drinking wine. No idea why.
- Let’s Go Crazy – Prince. “Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life…” That pretty much says it.
- Don’t Mess With Me – Brody Dalle. Caution: you will feel damn near invincible while listening to this song. Don’t try to punch through a wall or fly or anything. Good stuff.
- Toxic – Britney Spears. Nope, not a joke. Ms. Spears has made many, many bad decisions, recording this song wasn’t one of them. I like Womanizer too. No shame.
So, that’s it. My mood lifters. A little Jackson 5 never hurts either. As long as you don’t actually think about the Jackson family, of course. Anyone have any good go-to make yourself happy tunes?